In true Hollywood blockbuster fashion, the highly anticipated upcoming extraterrestrial-themed movie Super 8 is being hyped up through a variety of marketing efforts. A Super 8 iPhone application was released last month that allows a user to create his or her own “vintage” movie with this Super 8 camera emulator. And if that weren’t cool enough, Paramount Pictures and the convenience store chain 7-Eleven have announced a Super 8 promotion that will be giving away a trip to space.
According to CSP Daily News, “Prizes, special prices, special movie-themed cups and online rewards” are part of the 7-Eleven sweepstakes built around Super 8. This promotion was described by 7-Eleven chief marketing officer Rita Bargerhuff:
CSP Daily News explains that “up to 21,475 prizes will be awarded including thousands of movie tickets, 10 zero-gravity trips and a grand prize trip to suborbital space.”
“Not only will there be special prizes and a retro look from the 1970s at the stores in honor of the movie, this promotion will rank as the largest ever for 7-Eleven with an expected 21,000 prizes distributed. Topping it off will be a suborbital space flight, our grandest prize ever.”
To enter for a chance to win one of these prizes, participants must visit a 7-Eleven location and use their smartphones to check in on Foursquare, a location-based social media mobile platform. The prizes will be awarded every time check-ins reach designated thresholds tied to the number 8 (as in Super 8).
The prize thresholds are as follows:
– Every 88th person wins a free movie ticket.
– Every 88,888th person to check in wins a ticket for Zero Gravity Corp.’s ZERO-G Experience, which allows individuals to experience true “weightlessness” without going to space.
– The 888,888th check-in unlocks the grand-prize spaceflight, offered by the private space-exploration company Space Adventures, Ltd., with an estimated value of more than $100,000.
Super 8 hits theaters on June 10th.
- Multiple UFOs reported 20 feet over Pennsylvania homes
- UFO and secret alien base reports found in declassified U.S. Forest Service documents
- Triangle UFO close encounter reported over Ohio
- Disc UFO caught on camera moving out of bay
- UFO reported hovering over Florida residential neighborhood
- OpenMinds.tv in WikiLeaks as reference for Bill Clinton’s UFO interests and remarks
- Witness spots UFO while waiting for rocket launch
- Cheryl Costa – UFOs by the Numbers – April 10, 2017
- ‘Starfish’ disc UFO photographed over Tucson
- Large UFO spotted over Hollywood freeway