Analysis of materials retrieved by NASA’s Curiosity rover has led them to conclude that Mars “could have supported a habitable environment.” NASA tweeted, “Now that we know Mars was habitable, as we continue to explore we’ll learn more about where biosignatures could be preserved.”
The announcement comes after scientists found sulfur, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorous and carbon in powder drilled out of rocks near an ancient river bed on Mars. These elements are believed to be key ingredients for life. According to NASA, this finding completes one of the rover’s primary missions.
“A fundamental question for this mission is whether Mars could have supported a habitable environment,” said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA’s Mars Exploration Program at the agency’s headquarters in Washington. “From what we know now, the answer is yes.”
Paul Mahaffy, principal investigator of the SAM suite of instruments at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, says, “The range of chemical ingredients we have identified in the sample is impressive, and it suggests pairings such as sulfates and sulfides that indicate a possible chemical energy source for micro-organisms.”
NASA clarified in a tweet, “The discovery by @MarsCuriosity of a chloromethane reported today is not proof of past life on Mars.” However, it does answer the question for NASA, officially, as to whether the environment on Mars has ever been conducive to the existence of life. NASA tweeted, “Gale Crater is the first recognized habitable environment found in the solar system beyond Earth.”
Now that one site has been found to have “conditions once suited for ancient life on Mars,” Curiosity will explore other sites that also show promise for having had environments that could have sustained microbial life.
- Documentary on alien implants convinces filmmaker topic not so crazy
- Roswell alien autopsy: A summary of the truth behind the video that shocked the world
- 2018 UFO Year in Review – January 8, 2019
- Star Trek creator’s son discusses UFOs and aliens (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: UFO Researchers Discuss Pentagon UFO Program at Devils Tower
- Astronaut Scott Kelly Talks UFOs, Says Aliens Probably Not Visiting Earth
- Bryce Zabel – A Post-UFO Disclosure World – April 24, 2018
- Jeremy Corbell – Credibility in UFO and Alien Implant Research – October 10, 2017
- UFOs…Seriously LIVE! Ep 2 – Space Force, UFO Leaks, Project Blue Book and more!
- Alleged alien abductee running for congress (Video)