NASA is planning future sample-return missions that would bring rock and soil samples from the Martian surface back to Earth for study. But some scientists say the best samples to bring back from Mars would be those collected from underground caverns.
According to the Cleveland Leader, many researchers believe the Martian surface is “unlikely to host life as we know it today, but organisms could possibly be able to survive in a lava tube” or other underground environments. Lava tubes and other subterranean caverns are common on Mars. But exploring the Martian surface is a difficult task in itself. Exploring below the planet’s surface would be even more difficult.
Astrobiologist and cave scientist Penny Boston from the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, says “While I’m very much interested in a surface sample-return to get us over this hump of doing it, of course I immediately want to go on and start sampling more cryptic materials in lava-tube caves. I would love that.”
In addition to providing clues about past and/or present life below the Martian surface, a robotic mission to explore the Martian underground could provide valuable information that could benefit future manned Mars missions, because lava tubes are likely to be the most promising places to establish human colonies on Mars.
Although scientists aren’t quite ready to send robots into Martian caves, such a mission could be launched in the near future. According to Penny Boston, an underground exploring robot could be ready to launch to Mars by the early 2030s.
- UFO and secret alien base reports found in declassified U.S. Forest Service documents
- Disc UFO caught on camera moving out of bay
- Cheryl Costa – UFOs by the Numbers – April 10, 2017
- Jimmy Kimmel asks another former president about UFO secrets
- Exclusive full interview of former Arizona governor discussing his Phoenix Lights UFO sighting (Video)
- The disappearance of the UK’s “most spectacular” UFO photo
- Kurt Russell alleges he witnessed famous Phoenix UFO event (VIDEO)
- Charles Lamoureux – New Canadian UFO Documentary – July 10, 2017
- Indiana witness illustrates UFO moving overhead
- Documentary on alien implants convinces filmmaker topic not so crazy