Radio and television signals travel at the speed of light. With Gliese 581g being 20 light years away from Earth, our radio and television transmissions from 20 years ago are just reaching the planet. This means that extraterrestrials could be watching the Arsenio Hall Show and Cheers, or listening to Sinead O’Connor and Bell Biv Devoe.This assumes, however, that the inhabitants of Gliese 581g have the technology to receive and interpret Earth’s signals. So could Earthlings watch 20-year-old TV from an alien planet like Gliese 581g? Again, it comes down to technology. SETI (the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) is an organization on Earth searching for incoming signals from other planets. Seth Shostak, SETI senior astronomer, told Fox News, “In order to understand anything that E.T. might be saying to us, we’ll have to build far larger instruments to look for the modulation of his signal.”
If residents of Gliese 581g are able to watch our decades-old television shows, let’s hope they have a sense of humor when watching reruns of shows like Alf and Mork and Mindy . . .
- Is a U.S. Air Force general from Wright-Patterson helping Tom DeLonge obtain official UFO disclosure?
- Multiple UFOs reported 20 feet over Pennsylvania homes
- UFO and secret alien base reports found in declassified U.S. Forest Service documents
- Triangle UFO close encounter reported over Ohio
- Disc UFO caught on camera moving out of bay
- UFO reported hovering over Florida residential neighborhood
- OpenMinds.tv in WikiLeaks as reference for Bill Clinton’s UFO interests and remarks
- Witness spots UFO while waiting for rocket launch
- Cheryl Costa – UFOs by the Numbers – April 10, 2017
- ‘Starfish’ disc UFO photographed over Tucson