A Tennessee witness at Hampton recalls a 1958 encounter with a UFO when a “large, metallic, circular craft” moved slowly near a mountain area less than 1,000 feet off of the ground, according to testimony in Case 65719 from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The witness is not certain of the exact date, but thinks the events occurred as a freshman or sophomore in high school about 1958.
“It was late afternoon, with plenty of light and a few clouds,” the witness stated. “My cousin and I were sitting in the yard watching traffic on the small, narrow country road at the corner of what is now Railroad Street and Rittertown Road in the small town of Hampton, Tennessee.”
The two were looking east when the cousin asked, “What is that?”
“I looked up and saw a very large, circular craft maybe 1,000 feet or maybe a little more off the ground descending in a slant from right to left. It disappeared behind a large mountain to the left.”
The witness described the object.
“It was so large it was probably one third as large as the mountain. It was gray or silver in color and had a shape similar to a round aspirin tablet with a side. We could see a little of the bottom side as well as the top. It did not make any sound nor do I remember any lights in the daylight. There was no smoke trail behind it. It was below the clouds so our vision was not impeded by any means.”
The witness wonders what the object could have been.
“It was obviously a metal flying craft of a kind that doesn’t even exist today, let alone in the 1950s.”
More witnesses to the event came forward.
“When I went to high school the next day several people from our little town talked about seeing it also. A story circulated that the newspaper in Bristol, TN, had published a story the next day about a craft crashing in the mountains near there. The rumor was that several people went into the woods to investigate and smelled something like sulfur in the air and someone reported seeing a little man in a tree. This last part is only rumor but maybe there was a report in the paper. Bristol, TN, is in the exact direction the craft was headed when we last saw it.”
The witness is hoping that perhaps there was newspaper coverage that could be researched today, or more witnesses that might come forward.
“I have never forgotten the incident and wondered if anyone else who saw it has reported it to UFO investigators and if any investigation was ever completed. Would sure like to hear of anything that was or is found.”
Hampton is an unincorporated community in Carter County, Tennessee. Please remember that most UFO sighting can be explained as something natural or man-made. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
- Bob Lazar Area 51 documentary narrated by Mickey Rourke
- George Knapp – The Government’s UFO and Paranormal Study: The Skinwalker Ranch – Sept. 18, 2018
- A Survivor at Roswell: The Truth About the One that Walked Away
- Paul Hynek – Project Blue Book and Dr. J. Allen Hynek – January 1, 2019
- Roswell crash site debris may be confiscated by BLM, says researcher
- Jeremy Corbell – The Genesis of “Bob Lazar: Area 51 and Flying Saucers” – November 27, 2018
- The science of proving an object was created by an extraterrestrial civilization
- How US Intelligence Community Insiders Got the Senate’s Attention Regarding UFOs
- George Knapp Hunt for the Skinwalker Interview Transcript
- Unidentified Review: History Series Takes UFOs to a New Level of Credibility