UK’s National Archives published 6,785 pages on Thursday, July 12 from Ministry of Defence documents related to UFOs and extraterrestrials. This latest release is the ninth batch of UFO files to be released by the archives since 2008. Former Ministry of Defence (MoD) official UFO investigator Nick Pope told the Telegraph that this latest batch of released files is “absolutely fascinating” and it “contains a huge mixture of material that will be of great interest to anyone fascinated with UFOs.”
Twenty-five files make up these 6,785 pages, and the National Archives explains, “Topics include UFO policy, Parliamentary Questions, media issues, public correspondence, and UFO sighting reports.” The files include many interesting UFO sightings submitted to the MoD–some by pilots, police, and military officials. In case you don’t have the time or desire to read through 6,785 pages of documents, here are five highlights from the latest release:
- MoD’s UFO Desk.
This latest release of files includes information about the Ministry of Defence’s “UFO desk.” Although many media outlets are reacting like this is the first mention of this post within the MoD, the UFO desk has been public knowledge for quite some time. Nick Pope, who is quoted in nearly every article related to UFOs in the UK, ran the MoD’s UFO desk from 1991 to 1994. However, the recently released information related to the UFO desk is mildly interesting. Documents detail the duties of the UFO desk officer, and the actual internal job posting for the position is in the files as well.
- The need for a full UFO study.
A document contains a 1995 briefing by a UFO desk officer who cited the need for a “full study of UFO data as national security implications have never been properly assessed.” The officer states in the briefing, “The national security implications are considerable. We have many reports of strange objects in the skies and we have never investigated them.”
- MoD officer suggests capturing a UFO to gain its technology.
In the briefing document mentioned above, this same UFO desk officer suggests capturing UFO technology for UK use. The officer states, “If reports are taken at face value then devices exist that do not use
conventional reaction propulsion systems, they have a very wide range of speeds and are stealthy. I suggest that we could use this technology, if it exists.”
- Keeping tabs on ufologists.
The files contain a copy of a 1996 Parliamentary Question from Martin Redmond MP asking if MI6 and GCHQ monitors UFO investigations, or keeps tabs on ufologists. The National Archives summarizes the response contained in the files, explaining that a background briefing says “neither agency in fact undertakes such activity, though GCHQ cannot rule out the possibility” they had monitored “in other contexts individuals who have made a study of UFOs.”
- Tony Blair’s UFO briefing.
Former British prime minister Tony Blair was briefed on UFO documents. As the Metro explains, the MoD documents show “the former Labour leader was apparently concerned about information on the unidentified objects being released to the public, as a result of the impending Freedom of Information Act, so decided to find out what facts existed.” This came after author and researcher Nick Redfern urged him to “consider making available for public scrutiny all of the many and varied UFO reports compiled by the government.”
The MoD UFO files will be available on the National Archives website soon, but for now, you can access them on the Telegraph‘s website.
- Bob Lazar Area 51 documentary narrated by Mickey Rourke
- George Knapp – The Government’s UFO and Paranormal Study: The Skinwalker Ranch – Sept. 18, 2018
- Jeremy Corbell – The Genesis of “Bob Lazar: Area 51 and Flying Saucers” – November 27, 2018
- The science of proving an object was created by an extraterrestrial civilization
- 2018 UFO Year in Review – January 8, 2019
- Paul Hynek – Project Blue Book and Dr. J. Allen Hynek – January 1, 2019
- Latest UFO News – October 2, 2018
- George Knapp Hunt for the Skinwalker Interview Transcript
- David O’Leary – Creator, Writer, and Producer of History’s Project Blue Book – December 18, 2018
- Calvin Parker – The Pascagoula UFO Incident – November 20, 2018