Large amounts of water ice and possible organic compounds were recently discovered on the planet Mercury.
NASA announced on Thursday, November 29 that data from the Messenger spacecraft indicates there is between 100 billion and 1 trillion metric tons of water ice in permanently shadowed areas near Mercury’s poles. Temperatures can reach 800 degrees Fahrenheit on this scorched planet. But in the planet’s permanently shadowed regions, temperatures can drop to minus 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
Space.com explains that Messenger’s data also indicates that much more frozen water is present in slightly warmer areas on Mercury, buried beneath a “strange dark material that acts as an insulator.” According to researchers, this dark material is likely “a mixture of complex organic compounds, the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it.” Messenger participating scientist David Paige of UCLA explains, “This organic material may be the same type of organic material that ultimately gave rise to life on Earth.”
Researchers think finding life on Mercury is a long shot, but these latest discoveries have astrobiologists paying more attention to our sun’s closest neighbor.
- Bob Lazar Area 51 documentary narrated by Mickey Rourke
- George Knapp – The Government’s UFO and Paranormal Study: The Skinwalker Ranch – Sept. 18, 2018
- Jeremy Corbell – The Genesis of “Bob Lazar: Area 51 and Flying Saucers” – November 27, 2018
- The science of proving an object was created by an extraterrestrial civilization
- Paul Hynek – Project Blue Book and Dr. J. Allen Hynek – January 1, 2019
- George Knapp Hunt for the Skinwalker Interview Transcript
- 2018 UFO Year in Review – January 8, 2019
- Calvin Parker – The Pascagoula UFO Incident – November 20, 2018
- Latest UFO News – October 2, 2018
- David O’Leary – Creator, Writer, and Producer of History’s Project Blue Book – December 18, 2018