As the Daily Mail explains, life as we know it is made up of DNA and RNA, “molecules which can store and transmit genetic information.” But a team of researchers from the University of Cambridge has successfully manufactured synthetic XNAs (xeno-nucleic acids), confirming that at least six other types of molecules can support life.
Researchers theorize that XNA could produce lifeforms as complex as Earth life. The Daily Mail reports, “The new discovery means that it is not necessary for DNA to be present on another planet for there to be a chance of life.”
Much of the search for extraterrestrial life has been based on our understanding of life on Earth. A pair of Princeton scientists recently authored paper that, among other things, points out the flaw in this logic. Edwin Turner, astrophysical sciences professor and one of the paper’s authors, explained to New Jersey newspaper the Times of Trenton, “Our paper really just calls into question one of the few pieces of evidence we use for life elsewhere. The fact that life developed on Earth quickly has encouraged people to think that the probability of it happening elsewhere is quite high.” By using assumptions based on Earth life, this research team found little evidence that life exists outside of Earth.
But with the potentially billions of Earth-like planets in the galaxy, many scientists are optimistic about the odds of finding extraterrestrial life based on the notion of life as we know it. And as more discoveries are made that expand this notion, like XNA, the odds will continue to improve.
- Bob Lazar Documentary Sneak Peak
- That’s Classified: Exposing Silver Bullet Technology
- Bob Lazar Area 51 documentary narrated by Mickey Rourke
- Jeremy Corbell – Upcoming Documentary on The Skinwalker Ranch – May 15, 2018
- FAA releases audio and radar data of UFO encounter with multiple pilots over California and Oregon, jets were scrambled
- Michael Schratt – Are Black Triangle UFOs Secret Military Projects? – April 17, 2018
- Roswell crash site debris may be confiscated by BLM, says researcher
- Jeremy Corbell – The Genesis of “Bob Lazar: Area 51 and Flying Saucers” – November 27, 2018
- George Knapp – The Government’s UFO and Paranormal Study: The Skinwalker Ranch – Sept. 18, 2018
- Third DoD UFO video is posted with Washington Post article